Wednesday 8 August 2012

We are all Pussy Riot

I am becoming utterly obsessed and transfixed by the reporting of the current Pussy Riot trial, and just the very concept of Pussy Riot. 



The trial itself has been completely nonsensical at times and the reporting of it just adds to the weirdness. Yesterday prosecutors made the statement "feminism is a mortal sin, like anything unnatural in human life" which is an absolutely fucking terrifying statement to make. 

Pussy Riot are making their closing statements today and I'm following Miriam Elder on twitter here https://twitter.com/MiriamElder who is the Guardian Moscow correspondent reporting live from the trial. 

The anonymity of Pussy Riot is something I'm completely fascinated by. I think anonymity in activism is such a brilliant non-hierarchical tool and the idea that we are all Pussy Riot is something that has been encouraged by this band and the international show of support. I love that most benefit gigs that have been organised in support of Pussy Riot have encouraged balaclava making workshops to encourage us all to don the mask and be a member of Pussy Riot. The optimistic side of me likes to think that these have not just been another exercise in twee feminist craft workshops.

There's lots already written about Pussy Riot, and lots of celebrities have said or done various things, some to boost record sales, others because they seem to care, but it's right to be such a mainstream topic of conversation so whatever the motivation then I'm happy that this is being discussed so widely.


Now I love Kathleen Hanna, I really do. But I find it odd that in her piece on Pussy Riot she almost makes it sound like the WE ARE ALL PUSSY RIOT concept is kind of her idea, as though it's her solution to the problem of bringing back riot grrrl. Maybe it's just the clumsy phrasing of 'finally I have an answer' which makes it awkward for me to read. Also, I appreciate that her piece was written for her fans as a means of spreading news of Pussy Riot and making activism seem as accessible as possible to her audience and so maybe I'm just being a bit pedantic about that. 

But then there's the ALWAYS AWESOME Tobi Vail who gives us her thoughts about Pussy Riot and the trial too. I prefer this piece because when asked for her words of advice to the group she doesn't presume to have any words of advice but instead states that she stands in solidarity with Pussy Riot. I prefer that, it makes it seem less hierarchical.


There's already a creative response to Pussy Riot called Lets Start A Pussy Riot where you can submit your own responses, and a We Are Pussy Riot tumblr.

Amnesty International have a petition for their release here

The verdict of the trial is expected to be announced August 17th at 3pm. It's expected that the 3 members of Pussy Riot will be given a prison sentence but for how long remains unknown. Feminism has never seemed so dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment